Psychology is an intriguing discipline of study providing the psychology major with valuable knowledge and insight as well as life skills. This list of gifts has ideas to suit all personalities, some fun and some sensible, to celebrate the psychology major in your life.
1. Freudian Sips – Sigmund Freud – does he need an introduction? What’s a Freudian Sip? According to this amusing coffee mug it is when you say one thing but mean your mother! Those in the know will get the subtle humor not only on the mug, but also on its gift box.
2. Casecrown Campus Horizontal Messenger Bag – This sturdy messenger style bag is perfect for study and travel. There is a padded interior section with elastic closure for your laptop (13”) as well as secure pockets on the front, back, side and inside for your phone, pens, notebook, charger, mouse, tablet, papers and other supplies. The bag is made of canvas and has an adjustable shoulder strap with padding and comes in black, brown, charcoal grey, and Palo Alto green.
3. Forever Jung T-Shirt – Ah, forever Jung. The 100% preshrunk cotton, available in 14 colors is a relaxed, comfortable shirt for anyone who is a fan of psychology, especially fans of Carl Jung, the founder of the school of analytical psychology.
4. HDE Frozen Brain Novelty Silicone Jello Chocolate Mold Ice Cube Tray – Brains! This silicone mold is ideal for the psychology major who loves a bit of fun or the zombie lover. Jello, chocolate, or ice brains will certainly be a talking point at your next party.
5. HYPERtheticals: 50 Questions for Insane Conversations – HYPERtheticals are 50 conversation starters for philosophers and thinkers. The cards pose hypothetical questions where there is no “right” answer. Guaranteed to make you think, it’s how you think, not what you think that matters in exploring these thought-provoking questions.
6. Miquelrius Flexible Black Leather Cover Notebook – This beautiful notebook is handmade in Spain and features a recycled European leather cover and an elastic band to mark your page. Inside there are 600 pages of quality, ruled note paper, perfect for lectures, journaling or field notes.
7. Psychopoly – Psychopoly is the psychology based version of the classic Monopoly. Property cards belong to famous historical psychologists and the hand sculpted, pewter playing pieces include Maslow’s pyramid, Freud’s couch, an antipsychotic bottle, the Psi symbol, a lab rat and a brain. Perhaps not a game for everybody, but will definitely be entertaining and educational for psychology majors.
8. Show You Care Snack Package – Is your psychology major miles away? This Show You Care snack package does exactly that – it shows you care. Imagine opening a box to find 48 snack size packs of your favorite sweet and salty snacks as well as candy. Treats include Goldfish Crackers, Oreos, Chex Mix as well as nuts, popcorn, cookies, pretzels and Airheads. Something for everyone or just one.
9. Little Giants Toy Genius – Freud This Sigmund Freud figurine is a fun addition to your desk. Three inches tall, he’s your larger than life alter ego.
10. SunShine Day Psi Symbol Pendant – This gorgeous pendant features psi, the 23rd letter of the Greek alphabet and a commonly recognized symbol of psychology and psychiatry. Behind the symbol is a silhouette of a head with cogs for gears in a steampunk style. A special piece for any psychology or psychiatry student.
11 & 12. Recommended books that apply psychology to everyday life – Your psychology student probably doesn’t want another textbook. Give a fun book that applies psychology to the real world. We recommend: 1) The Power of Habit and 2) Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking.
Now that we’ve reviewed some awesome gifts, what should you avoid giving?
1. The DSM manual. Every psychology major owns this.
2. I Love Psychology bumper sticker. Psychologists are not literal people.